Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Cahokia Mounds



Last year I wrote a letter to the Governor of Illinois expressing my belief that Cahokia Mounds needs to be open seven days a week. I was written back by a top aid from the governor.

A couple weeks ago, I wrote a letter to the chief of the Peoria Tribe in Oklahoma. I explained the role the tribe needs to take at Cahokia Mounds.

Last week the State of Illinois secured about $ 900,000.00 for Cahokia Mounds to buy existing property around the current site. The State of Illinois also is planning to increase the number of days open to seven. Connect or not? I might have influenced important people to push for this nearly one million dollar fund. I don't publish my letters to leaders on here, so I'll leave you to decide.

COLLINSVILLE --- The Cahokia Mounds State Historical Site says it is inching closer to its goal of preserving one of the world's most precious archeological gardens. On Thursday, the site was awarded $837,800 by the state to purchase some of the remaining privately owned properties that lie within the 4,000 acres of original prehistoric city. The Illinois Historic Preservation Agency, which owns the site, has about 2,200 acres of the original city protected. The new state

Published on February 17, 2006, Page 1A, Belleville News-Democrat, The (IL)

No comments: